My daughter was having a birthday party with her friends, and we were trying to think of an eco-friendly party favor/craft. What we created were little hand-bags from re-cycled blue jeans. Here's how you can do it:
You need assorted blue jeans with some "wear" still left in the legs...you can use any size or color of jeans.
- Cut 6-8 inch long sections of the pant legs leaving side seams intact. You might need more than one pair depending on how many bags you want to make.
- Sew a 5/8 inch hem on the bottom of the section--you can either sew it inside to make a clean edge seam with no fringe, or sew it on the outside with a raw edge.
- Take 3/4 of a yard of colorful ribbon (we used 1 1/2 inch striped or polka dot ribbon), and sew each end on opposite sides of the bag to create a handle for each bag.
- Have assorted buttons, fabric patches or letters for the guests to glue on to their bags--we used Arlene's craft glue available at Michaels. Make sure they use a lot of glue and allow them to dry flat before using. If they are older, you can have them sew their pieces on, but we had 8 year-olds, so the glue was best for them.
- Fill with candy or other treats.
These also work as a great gift...just slip a gift card or other treat inside.