Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Too much of a good thing?

I've been bitten by the spring cleaning bug...in a big way! No closet or crawl space has been safe from my desire to clear out. It has been an interesting experience...finding things in boxes...things that at one time "I just had to have" and now I am ready to part with them. Oh, how we do grow and change!

Having the perfect home is an American obsession (maybe a worldwide thing...I don't know), and yet how much is enough? Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? Are our hours of rearranging and home shopping really for some purpose other than supplying our next garage sale?

Recently, I was at an estate sale, and two women were really rooting through this pile of linens...trying to find a treasure. After observing them compete against one another, I said, "Isn't it weird to think someday someone will be doing this to our things?" They got my hint, and started to chill out.

This reminds me of something my dad said, "You never see a U-Haul behind a hearse"...that was his funny way of saying, "You can't take it with you." As I clear out all those "treasures" under my couch and put the 25 cent sticker on them...I think I finally have discovered the real treasure...that home is beautiful for the voices, laughter and, yes, even the fingerprints that leave their mark.

Oh yeah...I am having a garage sale if you are interested...

0 comments: