Wednesday, July 1, 2009

pardon my French!

I love Paris! Why, oh why do I love Paris? Because my love is near!
Ella Fitzgerald, singer

I have had a on-going love affair with the French…their home design, fashions, cheese, bakeries…the way everything has that ooh la la! I must confess that even when they fell out of grace with the average American not so long ago, just the sight of the Eiffel Tower made my heart race. The language makes everything sound better…”shelf” or étagère (said eh te zhere), “hello” or bonjour!

If you, like me, enjoy bringing in a little je ne sais quoi in your life, here are some simple ideas:

Find a local cafe and enjoy a cup of cafe and a baguette. In the Wilmington area, there is Bon Apetit Cafe on Silverside Road…the shopkeeper is simply lovely…of course. She only accepts cash or checks, but the baguettes are so amazing!! She claims that you cannot make a good baguette in the U.S. because we pasteurize everything…I believe she imports her ingredients straight from the motherland!

One of my favorite books for bringing in a little Parisian style into your home: Kaari Meng’s The French Inspired Home is a delicious selection of her many ideas. http://www.amazon.com/French-Inspired-Home-French-General/dp/1579909965. She also has project books that cover how to make most of her creations, and you can purchase some craft kits, etc. from her store, French General, online.

Trader Joe’s has these scrumptious croissants in the freezer section…believe me they are extraordinary…all you need to do is to take them out of the freezer and let them rise over night. Brush them with a little egg white, bake, and immediately you are transported across the ocean for a lovely breakfast! They also have a splendid collection of cheeses at very reasonable prices.

Watch one of my favorite movies: French Kiss with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline or Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman…”we’ll always have Paris.”

Wear a scarf or don a beret…pack a picnic…take a walk with your amour…sometimes taking a different avenue in your day by embracing another culture can give you a fresh view. Enjoy this weekend!

0 comments: