Tuesday, August 18, 2009

morning so soon...but always a gift

Before I left for vacation, I purchased Tara Frey's new book Blogging for Bliss, which I simply adore! Wonderful inspiration and ideas...check it out if you haven't already. However, my challenge now is finding time to sleep...and as the mom of three young ones...you can't fake a night's sleep. The morning is always here in a flash...thank goodness for a strong cup of coffee!

Hopefully a few more cups will create a "smooth & well balanced" personae for the day! But now...I am off to the market...for tomorrow I am teaching a cooking class at Rockland Place...it is free to come if you would like...just email me so that I have enough food! Ironically, it is about a healthy breakfast...seems to be that mornings are my gift this week! Some items that are on the menu...my specialty...homemade cinnamon buns and delicious granola. Rise & shine!


Recipe for Good Morning Granola!

Granola always makes a healthy start to any day. You can tweak this recipe and come up with your own favorite blend. Adding wheat germ, flax seed or any other variety of nutritional grains makes it easy to do something good for yourself!

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of mild honey
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Added to your preference:
1 cup coconut
½ cup of each Dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, cherries, raisins)
½ cup Nuts (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds)

Place oatmeal in a large mixing bowl and add brown sugar, honey, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.* At this point you can also add any coconut, nuts or seeds. (Wait to add fruit until the granola is completely baked and is cooling.) Spray non-stick cooking spray over a large cookie pan or jelly roll pan. Spread the granola mixture evenly over the pan. Bake at 325°F for 30-35 minutes, stirring at least two times to insure even browning. Remove granola from oven, add dried fruit if desired. Cool on parchment paper. Serve with yogurt, fresh fruit or as a morning cereal. Lasts up to 3 weeks if stored in an airtight container.

*Some add a bit of vegetable oil or butter to their granola recipes...I leave this out because it is healthier, but if you like a bit more crunchy granola, feel free to mix in 1/3 cup of canola oil or butter before you bake the granola.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

just checking to see if I can leave comments...yes! it is now working!

Sandra Evertson said...

Oh good! Now I can tell you that I can't wait to try this fabulous recipe!

Thanks for sharing it!

Sandra Evertson

Jeanneoli said...

I wish I could take your cooking class. I love Trader Joes and we don't have one in Colorado...can you believe that!!?? Their packaging alone is so amazing. Thanks for the recipe...my kids LOVE granola.

PamKittyMorning said...

Yummy... tried to email you back by it was returned... thanks for the lovely email! I look forward to following along with you!

Audrey said...

I'm so glad I an now leave comments. Yay! Also, I love the new blog design; it is so pretty! You are really great at blogging and it's always a joy to read your posts. Keep up the great work!

This granola sounds very similar to the one my mom makes. She adapted it from an Amana microwave version (but we bake it in the oven) she got a long time ago. It includes wheat germ, coconut, sesame seed, almonds, honey, oats--and she sometimes throws in some flax. We usually multiply the recipe times 6 (18 cups of oatmeal, no joke) or 12 because it disappears so fast with all my brothers! Granola is so fun because there is no limit to the crazy and delicious variations that can evolve. Thanks for sharing the recipe and all your gorgeous photos!