Tuesday, September 29, 2009

city of brotherly love


This past weekend, John & I spent a day in Philadelphia...we needed a "city fix", and Philly is full of inspiration. Despite the fact that I grew up in a little town in Michigan, in my heart I am a city girl...I love the energy, the passion, and the selection. Philadelphia...the city of brotherly love becomes my home!

We went to one of our favorite sections, the Italian Market in South Philly. For movie buffs, this is the street Rocky ran through and caught the apple from the merchant. My friend, Skosh, shared the Italian Market with me many years ago, and since then, we have had cheeses that were to die for, sandwiches that make you weep, bread that is perfectly crispy outside soft inside...and if you are willing to really feel the city, meet the people, and smell & savor the food...you will experience some of the most incredible things about being alive!

Here are some of the places & sites we visited...check out the colors and the textures of the foods...and come see for yourself!

We started with a "simple" breakfast at Sabrina's Cafe on Christian Street...check out this mixed berry French toast!
Around the corner is the famous wall mural of the former Philly mayor, Frank Rizzo...


then down to our favorite shoppes: Claudio's for the creamy Gorgonzola cheese, DiBruno's for more cheese (they have over 800 varieties), Talutto's for fresh pasta, ravioli, mozzarella & olives, Sarcones for their bread and cookies, and to Anthony's for a perfect cappuccino...
Part of what makes it charming...is the honesty and the edgy-ness...

My favorite stop is always Esposito's Meat market on the corner of 9th and Carpenter,

Let me clarify that I am not a big meat eater...but if you are looking for a particular cut, they have it and then some. What I love about this place are the people and the relationships they create with the customers...over the years you become family...
Joe Lombardi always has a welcome that makes you feel like you're the most important & beautiful person on the planet...

and Bubbles, who is an icon in the Italian Market, always lets you know exactly how things are. He and his brother, Richie (who passed away a couple years ago), remember you the minute you walk in...despite the fact that it might have been weeks or months since your last visit. He laughs with his whole being...no wonder they call him "Bubbles."
I am so grateful each time I return...full of food, love and ideas...for all the gifts that were given to me by each person I met...life is truly full of richness!

0 comments: